Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Barns

Telling you about our trip is going to take a few posts. Since I love Love LOVE barns, I decided to start with this topic.

Our trip began two Thursdays ago, almost on time. We hoped to leave the house by 4 a.m., then when we went to bed so late, we decided to get up around 5 and be on the road by 7. We ended up on the freeway by 7:45, so not to bad for us!

This trip the kids were banned from bringing the Game Cube, Wii, their DS, Gameboys, etc., etc. We sat them down and explained that when WE were young, we traveled in cars on highways, NOT freeways (explained the difference to them), sometimes WITHOUT airconditioning, and we ALWAYS had a note pad and pencil for drawing and/or a word search book, etc., etc. This time we were determined to have interaction with our children and they WERE going to look out the window at the beautiful scenery God had provided, whether they liked it or not! Once they detoxed the first day, they were pretty good.

So, we decided we would travel the back country this time, ON the highways, NOT the freeways. We veered off I15 just past St. George and headed through Zion. BEAUTIFUL. Were my kids awake? No. Not until we reached the tunnel and had to wait 15 minutes for the one-way traffic. They only woke up because we stopped the car and rolled down the windows and they noticed the air was not on. Grrr. Anyway, they begrudgingly looked at the scenery. Luckily they stayed awake after that, because the drive up highway 89 was gorgeous.

Now, getting to the barns. Going the back way takes you through all the older, smaller towns. I love to find old barns to take pictures of, and I found plenty this trip. So many, I couldn't get them all. We'd be stopping every mile just to take a picture and it would have taken forever to get to our destination! Here are some of my favorites...

4 comments:

Heath and Jessica said...

OOOOOOOOooooo!!!! How pretty! I am glad you found some barns! I am going to copy these pics! We saw one of the same barns, I think, the red one on the top right, (if it is in Heber City, UT). If not, it sure looks the same! We found a couple of barns too, but I haven't had a chance to post yet.

Jenene said...

Yep, it's in Heber. So is the first one next to it...they're about 1/2 mile apart. The white one is near Park City. The rest are between Logan and Preston.

Jessie said...

LOVE the barns!

shontell said...

I love barn. I love lamp. I also reeeeeaaally really love barns. they make me so happy. Can you send me these pics so I can hang them in my house? DO IT. I love barns so much I want to drive by the dilabidated one near my house and steal the lumber of the side of it. It is falling apart and that wood would look great as panelling on my dining room wall!