Thursday, March 27, 2008

Olivia's back, Max turns 10, Ian turns 16!

Olivia's back after 2-1/2 weeks in Tennessee with Grandma and Grandpa! Yay!

She returned on the 25th, Ian's 16th birthday.


I can't believe I have a 16-year-old. It felt really weird the entire day. I couldn't tell you how Ian felt turning 16 because it was all about me that day. I'm the mom, dammit, I carried him for 8-1/2 months, throwing up every day until I delivered, craving all kinds of weird food (mostly strawberries/sour cream/brown sugar...I swear that's why he's allergic to strawberries), and losing my heavenly pre-child body, so I was TOTALLY entitled to take this day from him!

Up through the night before, (which was Max's birthday...they missed having the same birthdays by 13 minutes) I was excited for him and HE didn't care much about turning 16, or at least he didn't lead on that he cared. Then, when I woke up the next morning I felt like I was standing still and the entire day just passed by me while I watched. Every time I'd try to move it felt like I was in slow motion. I would sob, then feel freakishly happy, then I'd get depressed, then feel overwhelmed with love for him, all in just a few minutes. This happened all day! Weird. I never thought it would affect me like that. He's my 6-foot, size 16 shoe-baby boy (who is still growing) and I always wondered about that mother/son bond and how I would feel when he grew up and went to college, or when some girl would come along and steal him away from me. We were always close when he was little and since he's grown older we've definitely had our teenager/parent mini-battles, but the past few months he's been changing, turning in to a nice young man, giving hugs, being sweet, growing out of his gawky stage. If just turning 16 affected me this way, HOLY CRAP will I be a psycho mother-of-the-groom!

Happy birthday, baby boy! I love you.

3 comments:

Haylee Mecham said...

I can't believe all your kids are so grown up!! And Ian is 16! wow.. i feel old. I remember holding him when he was a baby. Crazy how time flies.

Heath and Jessica said...

I can't believe that Ian is 16! Where does the time go???

Those People With The Crazy Kids said...

Oh my gosh! I remember coming to the hospital to see him shortly after he was born! Are you sure it's been 16 years...seems like just yesterday. Man I feel reallllly old now.